Saturday, July 07, 2007

The county fair

Tonight DD, superhubby and I went to that one place all country folks look forward to all year long...The county fair. Superhubby and I are not big fans of the fair, but we do go to watch the shows a couple of times and since DD wanted to go tonight we decided to go with her. Tonight's show was the first of 3 demolition derbys taking place this week. Let me just say that no where else on earth are there so many mullets packed into such a small area. If we could get them to donate to locks of love we could really do some good. I also have never seen so many tattoos, most of which were probably done at home and some that I'm pretty sure were done while drunk. "Pearl Ann roks!" " I love my moma!" I swear I'm about afraid to let DD go by herself the rest of the week.
In case you have never been to a demolition derby they all look about like this.
Some of the unlucky ones ended up stuck on the wall like this poor guy who didn't have a chance to get back in the derby and when he was pushed up there he missed the spectators by only a few feet.

I was amazed at the group of normal looking families sitting behind me. Moms, dads and children all screaming obscenities at drivers, flipping off the flaggers and just acting like complete and total idiots. The worst was a mom, dad and young boy sitting directly to my husbands right and they were not even watching the derby, but that is a post all to itself and right now I am still so bothered by them I don't think I should get started on that tonight.

3 comments:

Marty, a.k.a. canape said...

Oh my. I just can't look away from those pictures. . .

Anonymous said...

So do all county fairs have demolition derbys? Can you tell I've never been to a county fair? Around here we just have street fairs and I don't think a demolition derby would quite work out.

kim-d said...

Oh, I remember the demolition derbys, and also Joey Chitwood's Thrill Show...all enjoyed at the Steele County Fair in Owatonna, MN. Minnesota's LARGEST county fair, I'll have you know! HAHAHA! I still love the county fairs the best; the people-watching is unrivaled. But, then again, the State Fair is pretty good for that, too. I think it's smart of you to worry about letting DD go on her own...