Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Mission impossible

When I got home from work today I decided to try to pay some bills...online. Anyone who has ever had dial up knows that paying bills, web surfing or even receiving emails is not simple, and doesn't always work. I had been trying to pay bills yesterday but couldn't get them to go through.Today I started with the satellite bill and finally got it to work, in less than 15 minutes, which for dial up is the equivalent to the speed of nascar. Then I went on to the phone bill. It went at the speed of snail. Last night I had tried to get it to go through at least 5 times and each time I got to the part where you make the final click and nothing...just a little spinning wheel mocking me. Today I kept trying again, and trying again, and, well you get the picture. I finally gave up and called. By my estimate if each of the payments were going through and I didn't realize it I would have paid them at least 800.00 on an 80.00 bill. I called and talked to a very nice lady who charged me an additional 5 bucks to take my payment over the phone....even though I couldn't make it online as usual.
After finally getting the bills paid I started making phone calls to potential high speed internet providers. Every person I talked to was sure they could help me until they typed in my address.....then I'm pretty sure each of them were giggling as they came back on the phone to inform me that nothing was available in my area. I did have a little luck with direct tv, who offered me satellite internet service for the low price of 79.95 a month plus a 385.00 set up fee....and that was IN ADDITION to my already too high satellite bill. I can not see paying that amount for the few things that have to be done on the internet. Direct tv has some great deals on internet. My brother in Indiana gets high speed through his direct tv for only 3.00 more per month than I pay for dial up. The deals are different for each area, depending on who they contract out to and since no one other than direct tv has high speed in this area they can charge what they want.....and get it from a lot of people. I, for one, will be creeping around at the speed of snail for quite a while....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should just move to where you can get reasonably priced high speed internet. Maybe to someplace that's driving distance to NY?

Lanny said...

That's insanely high! Ouch!

On a side note, my subdivision doesn't have cable. Do you like directv? We have dish right now, and it goes out every time a cloud thinks of passing over the receiver. Is direct any better?

kim-d said...

Hey you. After the massage and the chiro, I felt so much better than I had in a week so I have spent the last two afternoons doing ALL of the errands I haven't done in that I'm-in-pain-week. As a result...TIRED! The good news? I feel better, so I could also SLEEP better than I have in a week, too! YAY ME! Now I am at work--it's my "Friday"--YAY ME, again! Needless to say, when I blog today, it will be long and involved. Be afraid. Be very afraid. BWAHAHAHA!